2.05.2009

How to be Hispanic (From the Perspective of a Stereotypical Hater)


So the other day, I read the poem Girl, by Jamaica Kincaid. It's basically a "how to" poem that says how to be the "perfect" girl. It inspired me to write my own poem (that, and the fact that it is a required assignment for my high school English class), modeled after Kincaid's style, except I decided to give the poem my own personal twist: how to be Hispanic. My parents were born in Argentina and I grew up with the Hispanic language and culture, so this piece focuses on the stereotypes that people have in this country regarding the Hispanic/Latino population.

Here is an excerpt from the ending of the poem so that you can get the general gist of her style:

"...this is how to bully a man; this is how a man bullies you; this is how to love a man; and if this doesn't work there are other ways, and if they don't work don't feel too bad about giving up; this is how to spit up in the air if you feel like it, and this is how to move quick so that it doesn't fall on you; this is how to make ends meet; always squeeze bread to make sure it's fresh; but what if the baker won't let me feel the bread?; you mean to say that after all you are really going to be the kind of woman who the baker won't let near the bread?"
There are some pretty harsh stereotypes included here. Just know that I do NOT agree with most of them, since that would be like insulting myself. I sincerely hope that nobody takes offense to anything I have written, as this was not my intention, and if you do - well, that's life. Get over it.

Some feedback would be great! =)


_____________________________________________________

Speak English with an accent; this is how you say “Es no my yob;” this is how you say “My ney María Carmela Jimenez;” this is how you say “my especial son;” this is how to drop out of high school, so that you can work at McDonald’s for the rest of your life; this is how to work at Burger King serving Whoppers with cheese, hold the onions; this is how to work at Wendy’s making crispy chicken sandwiches; this is how to be promiscuous like the prostitute you are so bent on becoming; say “yes” when someone asks you if you are “Spanish;” but I’m not from Spain, and I don’t call an American “English” if he was not born in London; answer the right questions wrong on the Spanish test so that you don’t mess up the curve for the students who are wishing your untimely death before test day; never mind the fact that you’ve never heard of half of the tenses and verb conjugations being taught; to avoid the evil eye, Americanize your Spanish accent when you speak Spanish in class; pronounce your Spanish rr’s like an old station wagon failing to start; pronounce your Spanish o’s like a Southerner singing the E-I-E-I-Oooo part of "Old McDonald;" this is how to hop the border and steal our country’s jobs; but I’m not from Mexico; this is how to hop the border and steal our country’s money to take back to your poverty-ridden country since you are clearly from Mexico; this is how to listen to Reggaeton; make sure the radio you stole is tuned into “La Kalle” 105.9 FM; this is how to dance salsa; this is how to dance merengue; this is how to dance tango; this is how to treat your husband after a long day at the construction site; this is how to treat your husband after a long day mowing lawns; this is how to treat your husband after a long day of mopping floors; this is how to treat your husband’s affair partner; this is how to be an illegal alien; but I was born here and there’s an American flag at my front doorstep; this is how to play fútbol with your brothers who take off their shirts and shout Gooooooooool!!! when their team scores against Brazil; this is how to live in a cramped apartment with Mamá, Papá, Tío, Tía, Abuelo, Abuela, y los hermanos y primos; this is how to use drugs; this is how to deal drugs; this is how to steal money and valuables to pay for those drugs; this is how to call your best male friend Ese or Jefe; be an affirmative action charity case in universities and at the workplace, so that you don’t turn into the fast food place employee you are so bent on becoming; you are too lazy and dumb to become educated or employed at a successful location without meeting a quota; besides, these institutions like to present the illusion of equality; but I put a significant amount of effort into my education; this is how to make up less than 1% of American news stories while representing 13% of the population; watch your news on Telemundo and Univisión; watch Spanish novelas and act flabbergasted when Estefanía’s husband Pablo whom she cheated on with Lucas is in actuality her long lost twin brother; this is how to obey your machista husband; but what if I disagree with something he says?; you mean to say that after all you are really going to be the kind of Hispanic woman who has her own mind?

5 comments:

  1. WOW!! I am blown away by the depth of your poem. Thank you for sharing with us. I hope that others understand the realities and stereotypes here. You are helping to break through some walls that have been up for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This poem is beautifully written and really makes a great impression on the reader! The stereotypes you address here are of great importance and must be ended to attain true equality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This poem is amazing! It points out all the horrible stereotypical things that people believe about the way hispanic people act, the kinds of jobs they have etc. When people read it I will think it will definitely impact them and make them think twice when certain stereotypes about hispanic people pop into their head. I love the line about "I'm not from Mexico or the complicated part about the telenovelas. There was so much depth that was under a comical facade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved your poem. It reminded me of why I never took a single spanish class to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vanessa I love this! It can be taken as bitter, sarcastic, lighthearted, or merely reflective. As someone far outside the hispanic culture but nonetheless well-acquainted with all the stereotypical assumptions made, this poem is an awesome, blunt, cutting, and witty glimpse from the point of view that we should see more of!!

    ReplyDelete